• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

What are the pros and cons with driving a Toyota Hybrid model?

SUVFan

For those of you who are knowledgeable on the hybrids, what are some of the pros and cons for the Toyota hybrid models?

MickyD

The hybrids are better for the economy overall. There are less emissions that are released into the environment. The hybrids are much more economical as compared to straight gasoline vehicles. Some of the cons are you pay more for the car and many bugs are still being worked on in these models.

TM13TM

TTC Chicks
I have heard the Toyota hybrids are nice cars. Do you know what type of issues they may be having out of curiosity?

TruckJunkie

Some critics say that it is really too early to tell the cons of the hybrid cars. Some people have concerns about the higher voltage batteries in the event of a collision. The resale value on these cars are not the best right now either as far as I can see.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Higher purchase expense.
There are questions about battery longevity, disposal, and replacement costs.
Some charging and switching electrical components arent seeing the life expectancy predicted, at this time replacement parts expense is driving longterm maintenance cost to a point where the vehicles are twice the expense or more of a comparative gas powered vehicle.
Many electrical components have a short warranty period.

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
When I started my SUV shopping excursion, I was considering hybrids. I'm a tech nerd and a tree hugger, and would have loved to have purchased a hybrid. Yes, there is the initial sticker shock; especially with the Highlander Hybrid. With that, you're paying not just for the hybrid engine, but for everything that comes stock on a Limited trim Highlander, too. I figured if I was going to spend that much on a hybrid SUV, a Lexus RX-450h wasn't that much more of a stretch. If I was going to buy a hybrid today, I would definitely go with one from the Toyota family, and probably an off-lease Lexus RX-450h or 400h. It's no accident that the Prius is such a hot seller. Toyota clearly knows what they're doing. Even so, from a technology standpoint, I have to say that hybrid tech still has a ways to go. There are still kinks to work out, and it's still not cost-effective. My next car may be a hybrid, but I didn't choose one this time around.

For those who do want to take the hybrid plunge, I did speak at length with a few hybrid salespeople who knew what they were talking about. The batteries are intended to last the lifetime of the car. One salesperson was very upfront, and said he only knew of two instances where the batteries had issues, and Toyota, standing by their product, replaced the batteries free of charge.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
One of the things that I have noticed is that the new turbo-diesel engines that are coming out are so efficient that they're blowing away the total average MPG and clearly are destroying the highway MPG that can be seen with a typical hybrid vehicle.

I wonder if anyone's going to offer a turbo-diesel hybrid vehicle, wonder what that would get.

PaleoMama

Staff member
TTC Chicks
100 Posts
Community Leader
Turbo-diesel hybrid might be asking for the moon, @toyotafan . LOL! ;) No doubt somebody out there is working on the next big thing.

Forgot to add... There was a reason why I mentioned Lexus in my post above. Used Highlander hybrids are extremely hard to come by. Even if you do find one, wow... be prepared to pay. It all boils down to the mindset of the owners. It would appear that Highlander hybrid owners go into their purchases with plans to keep their vehicles long-term, and with the shortage of pre-owned vehicles available, it's evident that these owners are quite happy with their cars, and do in fact hang onto them. Different story for Lexus owners in general. That affluent market segment is more geared toward driving something newer, and not necessarily thinking about keeping a car for the long haul. So, while it's a bit of a challenge trying to find a good, used Highlander hybrid, there are plenty of pre-owned Lexus (hybrid and conventional), all in great shape, well-maintained, and many just coming out of their leases, with their previous owners trading up for the sole reason of having the latest and greatest.

Last edited:

Related Content You Might Like: