• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

1978-1983 2wd Front suspension upgrades

Saltlakecamper

I recently bought a 21' 1983 Toyota Phoenix motorhome. These old motorhomes are far too heavy for the stock suspensions. What can be done to the front suspension to (A) handle more weight? (B) give me 2"-3" more clearance? I have installed a full float rear axle with airbags to handle the wait of the cabin, it's the front end that I am having a hard time finding info. Any information on this subject would be great. Thanks

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I think there is an old thread on here about this. Someone mentioned adding bags if I remember correctly.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
That particular chassis is a 1 ton, the model camper really doesnt matter as they were delivered to various mfgrs as a cab/chassis and used withou mods to the suspensions, all Toyota.
In the day when they were new the 1/2 ton version could be lifted by using new spindle kits from aftermarket companies. But Ive never seen a kit for anything but the 1/2 ton, certainly not the 1 ton.
That particular truck used a heavy duty torsion bar if I remember correctly, and I dont ever recall seeing any type of substitute or upgrade.

Saltlakecamper

Pre 1986 campers were built on the 1/2 ton chassis, and they had problems with weight on both front and rear suspensions. There was a lawsuit and recall in the late 80's that resulted in the 1 ton rear axle upgrade( which I swapped in earlier this year.) to the best of my knowledge the front end of my 1983 toyota camper is the same as a regular old 2wd toyota pick-up. It has the same lug pattern, brakes, torsions, etc.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Theres a diference in frame material thickness and torsion bars.
I tryed using parts from an 82 camper to rebuild a 1/2 ton truck once, the suspensions werent close at all when side by side.

Saltlakecamper

Really? I was told that they were the same. This is good news! Do you know the diameter of the 1/2 ton torsion bar so that I can verify this for myself? If it is a larger torsion bar, then I should be able to crank them up an inch or two with no problem. Thanks

Related Content You Might Like: