• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2013 JBL Head into a 2008 Sequoia?

a789877

Hello! I'm a proud owner of a 2008 Sequoia Platinum. I'm wondering if anyone knows about swapping out the Navi/Radio head unit, from a later model (2012 or 2013). I'm guessing there are newer/better features. I think I'll need to know if it fits physically, and if the unit will function properly, and any other advice.

It says JBL on the head unit.

Much appreciated!

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
JBL audio is the manufacture of the unit. What do you have, just a basic unit and you want to go to a more advanced Sat/Nav system? Is the JBL unit from a 2013 Sequoia, or is it aftermarket?

The old radios, like from the 70's and 80's are now called single-din. The large units are now called double-din and there is something in-between called din-and-a-half. Those are the typical standards for radio head units in vehicles today.

You are looking to put the 2013 unit into a 2008? My guess is that it will physically fit, but the advancements in technology between 2008 and 2013 are a lot. If you have an aftermarket unit, it's going to be much easier, but you have to make certain that you have the proper antenna type and all that. If it's OEM, then there will be extra modules tied to the unit for 2013 that are not present in your 2008's modules.

Post some photos to get more clarify, and include the model number for the JBL unit if you have it.

a789877

Hi Toyotafan

Thanks for the post. It is the standard head unit that came with the 2008 Sequoia Platinum. It is JBL, and looks like it is double-din size. I'm attaching a photo.

I wanted to know if I can take a head unit from a newer model, such as 2012-current, and simply swap it out. Do you know specifically that the technology in the newer units is incompatible with the connections available in the 2008? I thought the standard connectors (speakers, power, video-out, volume controls, etc) are the same from year to year (or at least a adapter could be used).

I'm not interested in after market stereos, I never like how they look.

Any help is appreciated!

Bonus points if you can guess my location from the photo.

View attachment 2317

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
The attachment in your last post never loaded properly for me. ???

Jeff Wright

Hi Toyotafan

Thanks for the post. It is the standard head unit that came with the 2008 Sequoia Platinum. It is JBL, and looks like it is double-din size. I'm attaching a photo.

I wanted to know if I can take a head unit from a newer model, such as 2012-current, and simply swap it out. Do you know specifically that the technology in the newer units is incompatible with the connections available in the 2008? I thought the standard connectors (speakers, power, video-out, volume controls, etc) are the same from year to year (or at least a adapter could be used).

I'm not interested in after market stereos, I never like how they look.

Any help is appreciated!

Bonus points if you can guess my location from the photo.

View attachment 2317
Did you ever figure this out? I have a 2008 Platinum and would like to throw in a newer JBL Synthesis head unit with entune but cannot find anything about compatibility. We have a newer head unit in our Highlander and it is so much better. Thanks in advance.

Related Content You Might Like: