• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Replacement Of Shocks Etc.

Former Ford

Good morning from Miami,

Just bought my 02 SR5, absolutely love it.. I have an aquarium service company, of which I carry at times a 130 gal water tank to do water changes, and or fill aquariums. I would like to replace the shocks, I filled the tank on Tuesday, and I know it is 1,000 + lbs, and it will show that the truck is lowered, however, would like your opinion on whether to get "stock" shocks, and or heavier duty.

THANKS!

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Shocks on the back of your gen truck do not determine the ride height, their function is to dampen the rebound of the springs.
The only type shocks that would determine ride height would be coil-over or air shocks.
I wouldn't recommend either type for your truck as the shock tabs or mounts aren't designed to take the stress and added load and have been known to crack taking out a part of the frame around the weld.
What you want is either a helper spring or add a Leif spring.
Another recommendation that I've been using on my 1999 Tacoma 4x4 and 2011 Silverado 2wd is the "Road Master Active Suspension" it can work on 2 or 4 wheel drive trucks, doesn't alter unloaded height, reduces spring squatting and improves sway control roll.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Another factor is the nature of carrying liquid loads. Water is roughly 8 lbs per gallon, but being a liquid it continues to carry energy through turns, meaning a solid suspension is more importation in some situations.

Related Content You Might Like: