• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

1999 Tacoma Shocks

zukester

Awhile ago, I posted a question here on getting the shocks. I had ordered from Rock Auto and they were incorrect, even as they were listed there by vehicle/model/year. It is a 1999 Tacoma, smallest cab and engine, and No one can tell me what it is, except a "Value Package Plus" whatever that is. I say SR5, they say "no".
So....saga is over. Had time and money to get back to it. Giving the VIN to a local Toyota dealer parts desk themselves, they said my model is a "Value Package Plus". I said, but is it an SR5? They said "no". Not having time to ask what it actually was listed as, they said "That is all it says" and why you could not find shocks any place for it.
The parts are below, with information and pics. I just searched online from Toyota sites with the part numbers given ,and it took several to get all of them. VASTLY different than the ones I bought from Rock Auto, listed for this truck. My own mechanic had looked and said he could not even get such an animal from his supplier.

This is a blow up of all of the parts, below links are individual parts:
FRONT SUSPENSION for 1999 Toyota Tacoma

Toyota part 48131-04090 coil/spring
48131-04090 - Genuine Toyota SPRING, FRONT COIL, RH

Toyota part 48131-04100 coil/spring
Spring - Toyota (48131-AF100)

Toyota part 48511-80046 absorber/shock
48511-80046

Toyota part 48157-35010 insulator
Spring Insulator - Toyota (48157-35010)

Toyota part 90948-02069 retainer
Stabilizer Bar Retainer - Toyota (90948-02069)

Hope this saves someone else a lot of time. Thanks again all for trying to help me with this nightmare. The carnival ride truck will now go back to being a pickup again, tomorrow.!

Bobby Z.

zukester

Yes Sir. I had to go to the dealer with the VIN number and they looked it up. They look nothing like the ones the manual and all online superstores showed. Now that I know, if you go to any dealer site online and put in the VIN, it gives the part number and the picture of that shock, but no other types of sites do!

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
What about this setup is so dramatically different than other configurations?

zukester

Well, all factory manuals I bought years ago and online stores like Autozone, Rock Auto, Pep Boys, etc. show ONLY the 4WD shocks, nearly one and a half times the size and weight, plus different mounts. Never would even come close to fitting and not even a way to modify the truck to make it fit.
If you follow the links I posted at the first,
FRONT SUSPENSION for 1999 Toyota Tacoma

you would see one set. If you type in "1999 Toyota Tacoma" (any type, 2WD, any engine you choose), you get a different set on all sites outside of the Toyota dealer sites and Toyota itself. The only way to get the correct one was by the VIN number of my truck, and that is even what the Toyota dealer here even said. so something about this year and size is different. At least I went 18 years the first time. And at least I know what is there for the next time.

Regards,
Bob Zuvich

Related Content You Might Like: