• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

P0156 02 Sensor Fail

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
So as I posted in my thread (02 Sensors, Over $1000 For Sensors Wow!!!!!!) the up stream 02 sensors for my 2004 4 runner 4.0 L are very expensive, and no body has them. I know p0156 is sensor 2 bank 2 ,so rear sensor, and I can find the rear sensors. What do you guys think about just changing the rear (after cats) 02 sensors, and not doing the before cat ones ? Has any of Y'all done this?

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
By the way, I have not been able to check anything on the 4 runner, because of the weather. I am planing on working on it this weekend. I did call my local dealer (parts dept.) and they said there techs only change the sensors that fail, and do not change them all. $222.00 for front, and 202.00 for rear sensors.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I have heard of techs swapping the sensors and solving the problem you describe.
Also look long and hard at the sensor leads, they can be damaged easily.
A few years back a gentleman that posted under the forum name of "dick foster" on the "Toyota Tacoma Forum" posted a very comprehensive trouble shooting guide for the diy mechanic that was a spot on trouble shooting guide to solving this problem.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I'm not following. What do you mean to swap out the sensors?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
On systems with dual pipes they swap the sensors from side to side, or in cases of universal sensors they swap from frt to back. Sometimes this solves the code problems.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
On systems with dual pipes they swap the sensors from side to side, or in cases of universal sensors they swap from frt to back. Sometimes this solves the code problems.
<Scratching head> ... so hoping that only part of the sensor is dead and that it will work properly on the other side?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Sometimes just removing the sensor will knock off carbon and allow it to read properly, at least that's the best theory I've come up with for this.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
I plan on pulling the rear 02 sensors soon. I cleared the CEL for the 2ed time, and it has not come back on, yet, but we don't drive it much. I think it may be a carbon issue, but with the rain last weekend, and the cold this weekend, IDK when I will do this, but when I do pull the sensors, I will clean them, and reinstall them. If this does not work, then if the CEL trips again, I will replace the rear sensor, or maybe both rear sensors. The 4 runner does have some carbon, we don't drive it much. Sense I had a po2272 and po2273 low voltage, and high voltage, carbon may very well be the issue. Once I pull them, I will post the results.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Well I finally changed my o2 sensor tonight. I test drove it for about 20 miles and all look good. I called Oriley's at lunch today, and they said they had a Denso sensor for 68.95, I said grate, put my name on it, and I will pick it up after work. I go there after work, and guess what. The moron I talked to at noon had left for the day, so the ast. mangr. looks it up and no sensor at all in the store that fits my 2004 4 runner, and none anywhere with in a 30 mile radius. He calls Advanced, same sh1t. I had already pulled the old sensor, and did not want to put it back in, so I go across the street to Autozone. The only thing they had was a Bosch. So I said well I guess I have no choice, give me that one. I know the girl who waited on me, and she says, if it gives you trouble, I will take it back.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
What's wrong with customer service today? Seems like this is happening all the time across all sorts of businesses.

Related Content You Might Like: