• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

How To Identify Towing Package

Carver

Hello everyone, Thanks for letting me post a question....

I'm looking at a used Sequuoias and specifically as a tow rig for a "lite" travel trailer. As I review adds for sale vehicles, is there an easy way to be sure the vehicle has a tow package installed? Tow package meaning, cooling, electrical, gearing, etc. I'm guessing that it's not safe to assume that if a hitch is installed the truck was manufactured with a Toyota tow package. In other posts I've seen reference to a "Tow" button. Maybe that's a solid reference to be sure the truck is properly equipped?

Thanks for any help you can offer. Ernie

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Wait, I think towing is standard on all Sequoias.

Toyota Sequoia Interior, Exterior & Safety Features

For your question, you're asking is there an easy way to check when you're looking at the ad in AutoTrader, or AutoInfo or Cars.com or another website, right? Depending on the site, it's either going to be listed as "tow", "towing" or "trailer hitch" but they usually mean the same thing.

If you get into the vehicle, you'll just simply need to look for a tow/haul button on the dash and/or look under the rear to see if the factory oem hitch is there.

However, watch out. People will often buy a non-towing vehicle and then throw a u-haul hitch receiver underneath and then claim that it's got "towing".

Last edited:

Carver

Wait, I think towing is standard on all Sequoias.

Toyota Sequoia Interior, Exterior & Safety Features

For your question, you're asking is there an easy way to check when you're looking at the ad in AutoTrader, or AutoInfo or Cars.com or another website, right? Depending on the site, it's either going to be listed as "tow", "towing" or "trailer hitch" but they usually mean the same thing.

If you get into the vehicle, you'll just simply need to look for a tow/haul button on the dash and/or look under the rear to see if the factory oem hitch is there.

However, watch out. People will often buy a non-towing vehicle and then throw a u-haul hitch receiver underneath and then claim that it's got "towing".
Thank - that is my exact concern - a seller claims a tow package when in fact the truck was not equipped properly from Toyota. Thanks for the insight regarding the tow/haul button. That's the litmus test for me. Cheers!

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Even that's not enough anymore, I was in a new dodge Durango recently and there is no tow button, it's all computerized.

Diane1955

My understanding is that a tow package includes an auxiliary transmission cooler. The 2003 I had, you could see the auxiliary cooler to the lower left of the main radiator, up front. It looks like a baby radiator, maybe without fins.

I don't know if they are so readily visible on the current generation.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Take a quick look at the electrical trailer tow plug also. Follow the wires, if there are cut and splice wires that look hacked - I'd walk.

nij_tp

I know this is old but in case someone else reads this. Mine is a 2007 with according to Toyota " 150 Amp Alt/7 Pin Trailer Wire Harness, Tow Hitch" and i dont have a tow/haul button.
If you get the vin and go to
You can see the specs from delivery

Related Content You Might Like: