• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2003 Stiff Suspension

Shadowbomb

My '03 2wd Standard cab 4cyl automatic handles great on pavement. Better than my '06, maybe. But the '06 does very well on rough dirt roads, whereas the '03 makes me want to get out and walk. The other day I did about 7 miles on a road that had a good bit of washboarding on it and when I got back to the pavement the left front turn signal light was dangling by its wires like an eyeball hanging out of its socket. I have to wonder if this is just a soccer mom truck, or is it meant to be driven? 75% of the roads in New Mexico are unpaved, and I drive them a lot. Can anybody recommend a specific replacement shock that will soften things up a bit? Especially in the rear. I don't carry really heavy loads, just a few sheet of plywood or the like. Tire pressure is 35 lbs. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
You may have HD shocks on your truck. This will give a stiffer ride. Bilstein shocks are good shocks, but any shock that offers a good ride will help. When getting new shocks, ask for sshocks that are built for a good ride. I can tell you that my 2004 4 Runner rides grate, but I cant tell you what shocks are on it. LOL could even be struts, I just haven't looked. Also tires will effect ride, along with tire pressure. Look on the inside door for the manufacturers recommended tire pressure, and run that. Most likely 32 PSI. My 4 runner has a set of Goodyears on it, and they were around $1000 for the set of 4.

Shadowbomb

You may have HD shocks on your truck. This will give a stiffer ride. Bilstein shocks are good shocks, but any shock that offers a good ride will help. When getting new shocks, ask for sshocks that are built for a good ride. I can tell you that my 2004 4 Runner rides grate, but I cant tell you what shocks are on it. LOL could even be struts, I just haven't looked. Also tires will effect ride, along with tire pressure. Look on the inside door for the manufacturers recommended tire pressure, and run that. Most likely 32 PSI. My 4 runner has a set of Goodyears on it, and they were around $1000 for the set of 4.
Thanks - I'll bleed a few pounds off the tires and start panhandling for some new shocks.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Something you may want to look at on the 03 is the condition of the suspension, are the springs worn out and riding on the bump stops? This is a 14yr old truck, I suspect its bottoming out a lot of the time.
The 03 2wd trucks had a decent suspension from factory, but it was designed for light duty and never expected to endure a lot of off road use.
I've owned 4 trucks of that vintage and model, the only one of the 4 that road rough was a farm truck that was beaten off road daily, New bilstien shocks, springs, and replacement rubber bushings cured its bad habits.

Related Content You Might Like: