• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Takata Toyota Airbag Recall List

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
This information was sourced straight from Consumer Reports website on 9/1/2016.

Toyota Airbag Recall List
Immediate action is recommended if your vehicle registered in the coastal areas around the Gulf of Mexico, including Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas. Or if the car is in Florida, Puerto Rico, Guam, Saipan, American Samoa, Virgin Islands and Hawaii.

Toyota says that if you do not follow the instructions in the owner letter to have the work performed, then you should not drive your vehicle.

If you must use the seat after airbag deactivation, we advise that extra care should be taken to ensure passengers wear a seatbelt.

When the parts become available, owners will be notified by mail to bring their vehicle in for the proper fix.

Finally, if you are uncomfortable driving your vehicle to the dealership to have the work performed, contact your local Toyota dealer, and they will arrange to have the vehicle picked up.

Recalled Toyota cars & trucks:

Lexus:
2007-2011 Lexus ES - Passenger side
2010-2011 Lexus GX - Passenger side
2006-2011 Lexus IS (including IS F) - Passenger side
2002-2010 Lexus SC - Passenger side

Not under recall yet, but use defective Takata inflators that will need to be replaced by 2018:
2015 Lexus IS250C, IS350C
2015-2016 Lexus GX460

Scion:
2008-2011 Scion xB - Passenger side

Not under recall yet, but use defective Takata inflators that will need to be replaced by 2018:
2015 Scion xB

Toyota:
2010-2011 Toyota 4Runner - Passenger side
2003-2007, 2009-2011 Toyota Corolla - Passenger side
2003-2007, 2009-2011 Toyota Matrix - Passenger side
2004-2005 Toyota RAV4
2011 Toyota Sienna - Passenger side
2002-2007 Toyota Sequoia - Passenger side
2003-2006 Toyota Tundra - Passenger side
2006-2011 Toyota Yaris - Passenger side

2015-2016 Toyota 4-Runner

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
There was a story on the NYT website, I think, that talks about how Takata's use of cheaper parts saved a couple of $$ per vehicle, and when you start to multiply that by millions of cars made, the savings really do add up ... however it led directly to less reliable airbags. Hence the recall.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Here's a story from The Takata Airbag Recall Is Now a Full-Blown Crisis Fortune. Not exactly the same thing, but discusses the implications of trying to cut costs at every single corner in order to boost profits.

Reports of deaths and injuries

The airbags in question have been blamed for 11 deaths and over 150 injuries, with additional cases under review. Ten of the deaths have occurred in Hondas, the automaker confirmed. The recall stems from the discovery that these airbags, when deployed in an accident, can explode with too much force and spray metal shrapnel at occupants.

An internal investigation by Takata reportedly shows that rust, bad welds and even chewing gum in airbag modules have been at fault. The study is ongoing, with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), as well as foreign regulators, looped in.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
This story is just a mess. Heard a great radio discussion on this subject over the weekend and the position was that airbags aren't really needed and they do more harm than good, by a longshot.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I don't know that I would agree that airbags do more harm than good, I've seen actual results that convince me otherwise.
But yes the whole airbag debacle is a mess. How Takata manages to keep their doors open long enough to clean the mess up is amazing at this point.
I heard somewhere that the company is still producing and selling airbags, really after all these product failures and failure suspicion?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I read an article earlier that states an eleventh death was confirmed in the U.S. due to Tamara airbags.
They had no numbers on deaths in other countrys, I'm sure one issue impacting that information is that many countries in Asia don't investigate or classify certain causes about road accidents.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Here's a reference piece that helped shape my view on airbags. I've been in three front-end wrecks, one with side-impact as well, in the last 15 years in vehicles with front and side airbags and they never deployed in any of the accidents.

Airbags: Takata’s Not the Only Story

Read this. I've come to be very skeptical of government reports on just about everything these days. Lyme disease, autism causation and airbags.

One study changed everything — and yet absolutely no one read it. It was published inChance magazine and on www.phys.org, which is a popular science news website for almost 2 million scientists, researchers and engineers. This study on airbags was done in 2005 by Mary C. Meyer, then a Professor of Statistics at the University of Georgia.

Meyer started thinking about the 238 airbag-caused deaths from 1990 through 2002 that NHTSA admitted to. (Up from 175 in 1999) As she noted, “They all occurred at very low speeds, with injuries that could not have been caused by anything else.” The statistical logic she immediately grasped was that the government was cherry-picking data in order to show the lowest possible number of fatalities from airbags. Because if airbags kill at extremely low speeds, then situations would exist where those devices could also kill in much higher-speed accidents, too. Only the government seemed to have omitted that possibility from their published data.

Meyer’s final paper showed that wearing one’s seatbelt reduces the odds of death in an automobile accident by 67 percent, across any given speed category. Airbags, however, showed to make no statistical difference whatsoever in auto fatalities, with one exception: An unbelted front seat occupant in a low-speed accident — and here the odds of dying because of the airbag are more than four times higher than if the car did not have that so-called safety device.

Read more here: Airbags: Takata’s Not the Only Story

Related Content You Might Like: