• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Truck With Takata Air Bag Inflators Crashes And Levels House

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
That is some bad news. Since I have hazmat endorsement I couldn't help but notice the first line of the article stood out to me: "truck carrying its inflators and a volatile chemical exploded".

Kind of surprised they could carry the volatile chemical "an igniter" on the same load as the inflators - kind of a red flag to me. Quantities that large is looking for trouble.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
oh, I had overlooked that.

Yeah, I used to be a warehouse manager for a large electronics and screen print supply manufacturer and would drive a delivery can with chemicals when a customer needed something much sooner. I had to spend a full week studying for the 49 CFR + additional hazmat training and then take their tests back in the 90's. From what I understand the use of software systems (which supposedly do a lot of the work for you) have lowered the requirements for people who do this for a living.

Yes, it's rare for a semi truck and trailer to crash like this, but we have these laws because when it happens, we need to know what's in the truck. Beyond that, the people loading these trucks should be trained and a dispatcher / warehouse operations manager should have never let these compounds go out together on the same truck ... this is a guess on my part, but it's probably an oxidizer or some type of agent that created great heat and flame when it reached flash point and then it set off the igniters in a sudden and swift chain reaction. Just like one big bomb.

I mean, look at the sides of that trailer. It looks like it's a flatbed trailer, but that's because it exploded!

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I read the article yesterday, and I came away suspecting the subcontractor was attempting to cut corners and committed a few HAZMAT no Jo's in an effort to make money, it literally blew up in his face.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I've been asleep at the wheel on the whole Takata airbag story.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Looks like they were only transporting the accelerate? It's only a story because eventually it would be put into a product in which a previous version of that product was already recalled.

Related Content You Might Like: