• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Sound Coming From Right Rear

Cutty

Hearing a whomp, whomp, whomp sound from right rear when driving. Sound increases as I drive faster. brakes shoes? doesn't change when I hit the brakes. Does the rear wheels have bearings that you change?
Tires are new. What do you think?

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
There are bearings, and yes they do get bad from time to time. Is this on your T-100? On a rear diff. there are bearings at the axle shafts where the shaft comes through the housing where the breaks are, and there are bearings inside the diff, that hold the ring gear carrier, and one where the pinion gear goes through the axle at the front, where the U joint it connected. Any of these can and do go bad, and will make noise when they do.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Just because the tires are new doesn't give them a pass, I'd have a shop check the balance just to be sure.
Bearings are like Kenney said, another possibility is bent axle/shaft, not saying you beat your truck, I've had this problem before after hitting a pot hole.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Hearing a whomp, whomp, whomp sound from right rear when driving. Sound increases as I drive faster. brakes shoes? doesn't change when I hit the brakes.................
Another possibility to throw in the mix: broken belt in the tire. Can happen to both new and used tires.

Cutty

Don't think its the tires or wheel bearings. I jacked up and spun wheels. Sounds like its coming from Diff. Is this easy to replace?
I'm no mechanic but I do do a lot myself.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Here is a video on rear diff. This will give you an insight on what is in there and how to take it apart. Although you diff may be a little different, all open diff.s are basically the same, as long as there is no locker. It is crucial that the main barrings and spacers go back in the same order that they come out, unless you re space the ring gear, and then the bearing caps still need to go back exactly like they were when you removed them. If you have to change the carrier bearings, you may as will change the wheel bearings while you are in there. Spend a little time on you tube learning how to re do you diff, and it can be done while it is still on the truck, When I did my 97 Chevy Silverado about 3 years ago, we did not remove the diff. from the truck.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
If you just replace the carrier bearings, it is not necessary to re space the ring gear, as long as you use the same ring and pinion gear set up and the pinion gear bearing is good. Also the axle bearings will not effect the ring gear spacing. As long as you put the spacers and bearing caps back just like you remove them, you will be good. Here is another video.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Here is one on a Tundra. Although the carrier is a chunk and comes out from the front of the diff., the way the carrier go in is still very similar.

Cutty

I'm in the shop trying to get the diff cover off, I removed the rear driveline, and took the 10 nuts off of the cover. placed a chisel and lightly tapped to separate cover. Its loose but it won't pull off? Do I need to remove the pinion nut before I can pull off carrier/diff cover?

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
No. Have you pulled the axle shafts? Or does your diff have a cover on the rear of it. If you are removing the carrier from the front (drive shaft side) you will need to pull the axle shafts to get it out. If it is just a cover on the rear side (bumper side) then it will just come off.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
I have not done a Toyota, but when I did my 1997 Chevy Silverado a few years ago. I did a lot of research. All diffs are basically built the same way. Ether the carrier goes in from the front, like most Toyotas, or the carrier goes in from the back like my Chevy. Ether way, you have to pull the axle shafts to remove the carrier.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask, and I will do my best to point you in the rite direction. I won't be up to much longer tonight though. It is after mid night here. We are 4 or 5 hours ahead of you in time zones. I am on most every day, so if I don't answer you tonight, I will tomorrow.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
LIKE I SAID BEFORE, I CANT STRESS ENOUGH HOW IMPORTANT IT IS TO KEEP EVERY THING IN ORDER, SO THAT YOU PUT THE SPACERS AND BEARING CAPS BACK IN EXACTLY THE WAY THEY CAME OUT OF THE CARRIER. DO NOT MIX THEM UP OR TURN THE BEARING CAPS UP SIDE DOWN OR SWAP ANY PARTS AROUND.

Cutty

pulled axle shafts, got carrier cover off, Do you need a puller to take off pinion flange and seal?
I will keep everything like it was. Thanks for all the info.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
You should be able to get it off with a screw driver or a pair of pliers. I would do this with the carrier in place, that way you won't disturb the spacing of the pinion to the ring gear. You don't want to have to fool with setting the back lash if you don't have to.

Related Content You Might Like: