• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

02 Sequoia. Towing A Trailer

Micahel P

Hello Everyone!

We are considering getting a travel trailer and need some advice. The towing capacity says 6000-6500lbs.

My truck has the tow package option and the electric brake module installed already.

Has anyone towed a trailer and has any advice?

We are looking at a trailer that has a dry weight around 4840lbs.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Hey Micahel, I don't have any experience towing with a Sequoia - but you follow the same general towing guidelines. First know your vehicle tow specs. Do not exceed the tow rating of your vehicle or trailer. There is a reason manufactures rate their vehicles - it's for your safety and everyone else on the road. Keep your tongue weight in check with vehicle and trailer. It won't take long to hit your towing capacity so be careful when loading. Keep your load balanced for best towing results.

If you have not towed before I would take your trailer out empty and do a couple practice runs to get comfortable with it. Adjust the brake controller so the trailer starts braking a second before your vehicle does - this will save your tow vehicle brakes.

Micahel P

Hey Micahel, I don't have any experience towing with a Sequoia - but you follow the same general towing guidelines. First know your vehicle tow specs. Do not exceed the tow rating of your vehicle or trailer. There is a reason manufactures rate their vehicles - it's for your safety and everyone else on the road. Keep your tongue weight in check with vehicle and trailer. It won't take long to hit your towing capacity so be careful when loading. Keep your load balanced for best towing results.

If you have not towed before I would take your trailer out empty and do a couple practice runs to get comfortable with it. Adjust the brake controller so the trailer starts braking a second before your vehicle does - this will save your tow vehicle brakes.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
What year of Sequoia are you looking at? The new model versus the old model have pretty significant towing capability differences.

Micahel P

I have a 02. It says 6000-6500 lb capacity. I am looking a getting a travel trailer. I'm not looking for a Sequoia

Jarred

100 Posts
Howdy Michael! I remember a buddy here with a Sequoia towing a small trailer I think around 3-4000lbs capacity and doing good on slight uphill.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Hello Everyone!

We are considering getting a travel trailer and need some advice. The towing capacity says 6000-6500lbs.

My truck has the tow package option and the electric brake module installed already.

Has anyone towed a trailer and has any advice?

We are looking at a trailer that has a dry weight around 4840lbs.
What type of trailer ate you looking at getting?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
A friend of mine at work regularly tows my 22ft Carson car trailer ,1650lbs, with his 3600lb 1970 Chevelle on it to car shows all over Texas behind his 2003 Sequoia. While it isn't the fastest rig on the road it has no issues getting there safely.
The trailer is outfitted with 4 wheel electric brakes and he uses a Tekonsha brake controller. The rig is also outfitted with a "Sway a way" load leveler and sway control hitch set-up that makes a much safer ride.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
The 2002 Sequoia I think has about a 1000 or 1500 lb lower tow rating than the newer Sequoia. Same with the old body style Tunrda vs. new body style.

Related Content You Might Like: