• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2005 Taco 4x4 4.0lv6 New Radiator Eruptions (video)

Mark Bailey

What would cause this sort of pressure in the coolant line on first crank? Cracked head(s)? Blown head gasket? Something else? It is likely my son drove it too long over heated. This was the first crank after replacing and initially refilling the radiator (which had cracked open too). NOTE: The engine is STONE cold! The "smoke", I suspect, might be combustion chamber exhaust (which might explain the geyser-like coolant eruptions too). If something like this is true, with 210,000 miles on this engine, my thinking would be to locate a replacement engine (and not waste $$ on rebuilding this high-mileage one). Since the truck is presently at my house (where I swapped out the radiator at), and I don't have the tools, I have not yet had a compression test run, but I think I already know what the results of such will be. FWIW, I've refilled coolant in this truck before (bubbling and burping at first, yes), but I've never had it behave like this. Likewise, I don't want to give it any more crank attempts until I've garnered some opinions from some of you more knowledgeable than I, lest I inadvertently guarantee the engine's ultimate demise. I should add that the engine ran extremely rough and sputtered and then stalled (again not the norm).

Thoughts?

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
If the truck ran hot, it could be a head gasket or cracked head. Do the comp. test, this will tell you where the problem is. If it was me, I would pull the heads after the comp test, and bring them to an auto machine shop. They can tell you if it is cracked or just need to be reworked.

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Also gray coolant is a sign of water in the oil. A blown head gasket, warped head, or cracked head will cause this.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
LOL ok one more thing, from the video, it looks like you are getting compression leaking by the head gasket. It still can be all of the above. The 4.0L is a little complex with VVT., and overhead cams, I think.A good overhaul manual will be a big help. Haynes or something like that, can be bought at your local auto parts store.

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
One more thing. When you do the heads, you need to do them both, not just have one reworked, and not the other one. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Last edited:

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I would agree with kennythewelder on blown head gasket or cracked/warped heads. Compression test in order.

Related Content You Might Like: