• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Transmission Rebuild

Jergen

Hi all, newbie here. Want to do some off roading with my 81 4WD so thought I'd get some things on it checked out. Bearings in three gears going in transmission. Looking for shop recommendations in Long Beach CA area for that type of work and suspension, and steering as well. 4WD shop won't touch it, and they have no idea who will. Any idea or suggestions. Truck has 78,000 original miles on it, and is well preserved. Actually, reputable tranny shop in LA will do the work, but a bit pricey. Thanks in advance, Jay

upatree64

Local fb toyota sales groups are great resources to find whole transmissions cheap and lot's of other parts, not just vehicle's. It's hard for me to wrap my head around "why a Toyota transmission would be going bad w/78k miles on it". Or why a 4x4 shop won't do the work. Those trucks are simple to work on. Just find another shop before you get frustrated over one shop opinion.

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Welcome from VA Jay. Definitely check a few other shops in your area. Like @upatree64 said, switching out with another whole transmission would be the way I would go.

Jergen

Thanks all, hadn't thought about swapping out trans. for another. Finding one might be difficult, but I will begin the quest. Jay

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
If I remember correctly the 4/5 spd trans from 79 to 84 are interchangeable with the 4/5 spd trans from 84 to 88. The automatic in that era will also fit but in the case of the 4 spd auto there is some wiring that has to be fabricated.
If I were doing this job I'd look for a later 5 spd since it has a slightly lower 1st gear ratio and the higher final drive in 5th.
Either way sourcing a trans, or any older Toyota truck part is like hunting for a needle in a haystack.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
IMG_2556.JPG
upatree64 makes a good point wondering why transmission is pooched at 78k.
How is mechanical condition on rest of truck. This 22RE I pulled last week and its perfect,,,purrs and has 229k. I unplugged from ECU so all connections at engine are intact. No rattle from timing chain so I suspect that has been replaced at some point. Clutch is worn. Transfer case was removed at some point. Telltale sealant at mating points.

Last edited:

Related Content You Might Like: