• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Tired of sitting in a hole ~ Toyota Tacoma Seat Spacers

rickoshay45

Shortly after buying my 2014 I decided that the seats did not feel right. After thinking about it I determined that the angle of the seat bottom was too severe. In other words it slanted down in the back too much for me. I did some research and found this guy. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/ProductLine.shtml.

I ordered 2 sets of his seat spacers for $30 and was very pleased with the results. Paid for the standard shipping on Friday from California and they arrived in Central Florida Monday.

It took me less that 15 minutes to do both front seats. You just pull off the plastic covers, remove the old bolts, push the seats up and slide the new spacers in. Install the new bolts and put the covers back on and you're done.

The seat feels so much better and I like sitting higher (I'm only 5'6"). Also it took a lot of pressure off my hips and the back of my thighs. Now I will have to raise my mirror but that is also easy and I believe that member Tacoma Parts published a link to that kit.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
I have had to make spacers for installing seats,,,i use steel but if you want nylon such as those get utility trailer bushings from napa and just cut them to size. Stock would be 2" so maybe just have to buy one and saw it in half. You would also require a longer bolt. Being comfy in your seat is very important,,,,,how often you see people peering over their dash when something like a few bushings would make driving so much easier for them.

arthur

Great idea. I am 5' 6" and always felt sunken into the seat cushion. I used plastic exterior limber , cut to fit and used longer bolts.Thanks for the idea, made a big difference

keakar

ok so is this a straight even seat lift front and back or is it also leveling the seat by lifting the back more then the front?

I ask because you stated " it slanted down in the back too much for me" and now say it feels great but it looks like those spacers are the same size to me so the seat would still be slanting down in the back the same way as before.

rickoshay45

The photos show the back of the seat. I did not raise the front. There is enough flex in the mounts to do the mod to the rear mounts without loosening the front seat mount bolts

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
If you raise the rear of seat with spacers also raise the front of seat with the same size spacers to maintain a comfortable angle of dangle.

arthur

ok so is this a straight even seat lift front and back or is it also leveling the seat by lifting the back more then the front?

I ask because you stated " it slanted down in the back too much for me" and now say it feels great but it looks like those spacers are the same size to me so the seat would still be slanting down in the back the same way as before.
Just install in the rear,it really made a difference. I went to a hardware store that had an assortment of replacement bolts.Brought the old ones and added the width of the lift( 1" in my situation was enough) and the plastic covers can be reinstalled.Consumer Reports even said the sitting position was to low for them.

rickoshay45

The " angle of the dangle" is a very personal thing. Raising the rear works for me. It was really noticeable when I went from Wifey's Chrysler 200 with 6 way seats to the Taco. Also after 115K miles on my Electra glide, I like my knees below my hips. That experience taught me a lot about driving comfort. I spent more money on comfort than looks. Chromaholics usually don't collect Iron But Certificates like I did. I'll get back to it one day maybe with a Goldwing or an Indian Roadmaster, retro keeps calling my name. I read many reviews before buying the truck and a VERY common complaint was the seats being to low. Try the rears first then do the fronts if it flips your switch. The only downside is the door arm rests are no longer in a comfortable spot to rest on while holding the wheel. Though I might be able to fix that by adjusting the wheel

keakar

The " angle of the dangle" is a very personal thing. Raising the rear works for me. It was really noticeable when I went from Wifey's Chrysler 200 with 6 way seats to the Taco. Also after 115K miles on my Electra glide, I like my knees below my hips. That experience taught me a lot about driving comfort. I spent more money on comfort than looks. Chromaholics usually don't collect Iron But Certificates like I did. I'll get back to it one day maybe with a Goldwing or an Indian Roadmaster, retro keeps calling my name. I read many reviews before buying the truck and a VERY common complaint was the seats being to low. Try the rears first then do the fronts if it flips your switch. The only downside is the door arm rests are no longer in a comfortable spot to rest on while holding the wheel. Though I might be able to fix that by adjusting the wheel
well I never owned or drove a yota truck so this will be my first one soon (pending other matters) and im trying to get all the info I can on comfort mods I can do for comfort while not spending any money at all doing it. im sure as I change into the reclining positions these small trucks can do to us so maybe as I get used to sitting low to the floor I will see more understanding of the seat angle issue.

keakar

I have had to make spacers for installing seats,,,i use steel but if you want nylon such as those get utility trailer bushings from napa and just cut them to size. Stock would be 2" so maybe just have to buy one and saw it in half. You would also require a longer bolt. Being comfy in your seat is very important,,,,,how often you see people peering over their dash when something like a few bushings would make driving so much easier for them.
I wouldn't use those because they are softer plastic that could split so if I were doing it I would use a pvc fitting, its hard and will hold over 250 lbs of weight without breaking, heck I drive over em with my car and they are still good.

get a half inch cold water schedule 40 pvc fitting and slide a 3/8" fuel line inside it. its there as a spacer for your 3/8" or 10mm bolt will fit straight in the center to keep everything centered for even support

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Does the seat lock into position just as much as it did before? I'd think that it would be likely to twist side to side. yes, no, maybe?

keakar

Does the seat lock into position just as much as it did before? I'd think that it would be likely to twist side to side. yes, no, maybe?
this is my concern as well if trying to use the leaf spring shock sleeve bushing suggestion, because it may be too narrow as well as the strength question and the seat may be able to shift to one side in a side impact accident. we should always stop to think of safety and "what if" situations when modifying anything like the seat or seat belts.

but as long as you use the proper grade of bolts and it is tightened down correctly and whatever spacer you choose to use is wide enough to give proper surface area support to the seat bracket (about 1" around) then it should be just as strong as the stock mounting position.

I think bench seats would be the least likely to have issues but the bucket seats could be wobbly if not done correctly (jerry rigged) but as mentioned above, if you make sure its got proper support then it can be tightened down as solidly as stock

Last edited:

Dave

With my new truck i felt that same hole. Adjusting the back trying to offset this did not help, just felt like i was bent to far forward. I ordered clazzio seat covers, and after installing them i noticed that low spot in the seat was now not there.
After a time the covers may give way and the dip may re-establish itself, but for now the problem is solved.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
With my new truck i felt that same hole. Adjusting the back trying to offset this did not help, just felt like i was bent to far forward. I ordered clazzio seat covers, and after installing them i noticed that low spot in the seat was now not there.
After a time the covers may give way and the dip may re-establish itself, but for now the problem is solved.
Is this a reinforced seat cover perhaps?

Related Content You Might Like: