• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Replacement Motor Dealer - Right Hand Drive Motor

upatree64

I'm considering the purchase of a replacement motor for my 97 Tacoma 4x4. I've never done anything like this before. Especially the 3.4 like this truck has. I've no need to rush my purchase but certainly am leaning toward it.
My question I guess is this 1] JDM engine depot, out of Dallas seems to have the best price, on the lowest guaranteed miles engine. BUT, if I'm understanding them right, the motors are shipped from Japan and are right hand drive engines. SO, their motors come with but not warrantied alternators, starters and other various external parts "but some appear to be on the opposite side of my motor up front". WILL I BE ABLE TO JUST SWAP THOSE BRACKETS TO THE OTHER SIDE? [sorry I hit the caps by accident]. 2] has anyone here ever used JDM? and what was your experience with them?

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I wasn't aware that the right hand drive vehicles also swapped configurations on the engine bolt ons. I thought it was only steering linkage and braking components.

upatree64

I wasn't aware that the right hand drive vehicles also swapped configurations on the engine bolt ons. I thought it was only steering linkage and braking components.
you may very well be right. It raised my concern a bit when I called to inquire about the motor and found them to be removed from right hand drive trucks. A few of the pics just looked like a bracket or two may be on opposite sides. It really wouldn't matter much since I would have my engine and all it's bracket's.. I hope also to hear from others who have purchased engine's from them.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Hmm, compounding the issue is that the websites I go to only have left hand drive exploded diagrams and such. Not sure who to contact on this. @tbplus10 tim would know as he's traveled the world a lot on the navy, but he's busy with other stuff lately.

MuddyTacoma

Mechanic
1000 Posts
I don't think they make the Tacoma in right hand drive, do they? It's only sold in North America, the rest of the world gets the Hilux. Why would they make a Tacoma that's right hand drive when places that are right hand drive still get the Hilux?

upatree64

just to drop a note here since I started this thread. I call JDM Motors again today to double check about any possible reversed brackets and it appears that I was mistaken. there are none. The engine comes with block, heads, intake and fuel rail's, coil packs, censors and number of hoses and extra wiring harness he said prob... the short of it is, they jerk the hose's and leave them on ,unplug the censors, disconnect it from the trans and pull the mounts... the engine is guaranteed to be under 65k miles and carries a 90 day warranty on the heads and block... shipping included for me is $989 for this 3.4 v6 5vz-fe

Attachments

upatree64

Ok good news. So which one are you getting? :)
it'll be at least another month before I take any kind of action, especially since the little land deal may need some attention 1st. One step at a time right now, the truck still runs like charm. Shows me a little steam for a few min in the morning and putting maybe a pint of antifreeze a week in it. I think she'll hold up for a bit longer.

Related Content You Might Like: