• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Replacing Locks

Raelie

TTC Chicks
so my 94 pickup was stolen about a month ago with a shaved key, I got it back and now it sits at my moms because im afraid the person who stole it is still around here, I want to change my locks and my ignition to a newer year but not sure what will match with the wiring system hoping someone has done this or knows how thank you!

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
so my 94 pickup was stolen about a month ago with a shaved key, I got it back and now it sits at my moms because im afraid the person who stole it is still around here, I want to change my locks and my ignition to a newer year but not sure what will match with the wiring system hoping someone has done this or knows how thank you!
Okay well! That's quite a story, where did they recover it from? I mean how far away from where you live was it located?

I don't think I've ever actually had to ever change the ignition other than replace an ignition with a different unit of the same, I've done that a few times. It might be easier to do something like a hidden kill switch or something to prevent short of redoing the ignition.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Never heard of a shaved key. I like the idea of a kill switch. On my OT vehicle I have a fuel shutoff switch which occasionally I am reminded of as the truck starts to sputter and fart starving for fuel.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
I have had an alarm in my Chevy truck for a long time. It went out after about 8 years, so I replaced it a few months ago with a new Viper. There are about $200 installed at best buy. If you have power locks, it will give you key less entry. Also you can not start the truck with out disarming the alarm. You can't just unlock the door with the key. If you do it trips the alarm, and the truck will not start. If you want remote start, it cost a good bit more, but the $200 alarm does have an automatic kill switch. There are a few times in the past, that I know the alarm save me from a brake in. It has gone off a few times when the truck was sitting in the driveway for no reason, except that it had been tripped.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Never heard of a shaved key. I like the idea of a kill switch. On my OT vehicle I have a fuel shutoff switch which occasionally I am reminded of as the truck starts to sputter and fart starving for fuel.
What's an OT vehicle?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I have had an alarm in my Chevy truck for a long time. It went out after about 8 years, so I replaced it a few months ago with a new Viper. There are about $200 installed at best buy. If you have power locks, it will give you key less entry. Also you can not start the truck with out disarming the alarm. You can't just unlock the door with the key. If you do it trips the alarm, and the truck will not start. If you want remote start, it cost a good bit more, but the $200 alarm does have an automatic kill switch. There are a few times in the past, that I know the alarm save me from a brake in. It has gone off a few times when the truck was sitting in the driveway for no reason, except that it had been tripped.
That's a good idea as well.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I was thinking something like overdrive transmission or something more technical.

Related Content You Might Like: