• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Why Did You Choose A 4runner?

awonderingdawn

TTC Chicks
Why did you buy your 4Runner? For me, it was the fact that I didn't really need a 'truck bed', but I wanted a lot of space in the back. I wanted something that was comfortable to drive, would hold its value, and had a reputation for being a reliable vehicle. I, honestly, wasn't the biggest fan of the appearance of the vehicle at first- but it's grown on me. And I love having a nice roomy vehicle that can be used for a lot of different things.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Our primary reasons were 1) Toyota reliability, and 2) the off-road ability of the 4Runner. The FJ was considered, as well as the Tacoma. The FJ is just too Spartan for us--we like bells & whistles and comfort. The Tacoma is a great truck, but like you, we really have no use for a bed & prefer to keep our stuff inside for safety & security. Plus, the Tacoma is really showing it's age, and the "new" 2016 Tacoma is not a new generation, but just a significant refresh of a 10+ year old design. Leaf springs & rear drum brakes? No thanks.

This is the fourth 4Runner we've owned, and the best yet.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Our primary reasons were 1) Toyota reliability, and 2) the off-road ability of the 4Runner. The FJ was considered, as well as the Tacoma. The FJ is just too Spartan for us--we like bells & whistles and comfort. The Tacoma is a great truck, but like you, we really have no use for a bed & prefer to keep our stuff inside for safety & security. Plus, the Tacoma is really showing it's age, and the "new" 2016 Tacoma is not a new generation, but just a significant refresh of a 10+ year old design. Leaf springs & rear drum brakes? No thanks.

This is the fourth 4Runner we've owned, and the best yet.
What years were your different 4Runners?

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Let's see, we had/have:
* 1986 SR5 Red (top of the line that year, minimal leg room)
* 1989 SR5 Green (top of the line that year)
* 2003 SR5 White (inherited from my father--very underpowered & poor gas mileage)
* 2014 Trail Edition Silver (current 4Runner)

The 3 older ones were adequate off-roaders, but we didn't modify any of them to improve their off-road capability. OTOH, we've added a front skid plate, rock sliders, a 2.5" lift and Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs to the 2014, all of which have made the 2014 a much more capable off-roader.

rickc5

Our back yard
Staff member
100 Posts
Community Leader
Wow, that's a good spread of 4runners there.
Yep, every generation except the third. I really liked the 1989, and I think we kept it the longest, but we don't keep vehicles too long, as I simply don't wish to start spending money on them once the factory warranty expires (Lexus has been the exception, as they just don't break).

blg

I bought a 4Runner many years back and loved it. After a number of years, I felt I needed something a little different for my work. My son knew how much I loved the 4Runner and bought it from me. He still has it - nearly 200,000 miles and running strong. He has the 8 cylinder engine and it has performed flawlessly. The leather seats and steering wheel have aged gracefully but show some expected "character".
As I headed for retirement, I knew I wanted the 4Runner's reliability, versatility, great feel of the road, off road capability, and solid truck bones. I look forward to soon having the time to do some cross country traveling and National Park visits.
I was fortunate to be introduced to another enthusiastic TRD Pro owner (by my Toyota Sales Associate) who has generously shared the customizing decisions that he researched carefully. I'm having great fun with it!

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I bought a 4Runner many years back and loved it. After a number of years, I felt I needed something a little different for my work. My son knew how much I loved the 4Runner and bought it from me. He still has it - nearly 200,000 miles and running strong. He has the 8 cylinder engine and it has performed flawlessly. The leather seats and steering wheel have aged gracefully but show some expected "character".
As I headed for retirement, I knew I wanted the 4Runner's reliability, versatility, great feel of the road, off road capability, and solid truck bones. I look forward to soon having the time to do some cross country traveling and National Park visits.
I was fortunate to be introduced to another enthusiastic TRD Pro owner (by my Toyota Sales Associate) who has generously shared the customizing decisions that he researched carefully. I'm having great fun with it!
What year 4Runner did you first have @blg?

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Since I bought a used 2004, 4 runner at the time, It came down to getting as much as I could for what I was willing to spend, and something that I knew is reliable.

Related Content You Might Like: