• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Serious frame rust on my 95 4Runner

Just got my 95 4Runner, and sadly, she's got a LOT of frame and suspension rust!!! I'll post some pics in the next few days, but anyone got any suggestions for stopping anymore rust? I'd like to keep her going FOR FOREVER!!!!! Eventually maybe a frame off, but not right now....

1 bad tacoma

100 Posts
all i can think of is scrap the rust off to bare metal and paint but if its too bad toyota was buying the tacomas not sure on the 4runners at book value

Gideon

Hi,
First of all there are many rust remover liquids are available in the market, you can use any of them.
There is also an old way used to save the vehicle from rust is to spray diesel on it after washing. would save the vehicle from rust.
Thanks

seo optimization

Last edited:

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Hi,
First of all there are many rust remover liquids are available in the market, you can use any of them.
There is also an old way used to save the vehicle from rust is to spray diesel on it after washing. would save the vehicle from rust.
Thanks
How does diesel save it from rusting? Just curious. We used to spray the underside with WD-40 every winter and that helped out a lot, especially when winterizing something like a boat motor it worked very well too.

millionaireman

well a friend of mine also use diesel to prevent rusting, and I asked him the same question as what toyota fan is asking Gideon. If I could remember it correctly here is his answer.

"Rust is the oxidation of iron. In order for iron to start the process of oxidation it needs oxygen which is normally found in water and air moisture. Since water and diesel could never mix, applying diesel would somehow prevent oxygen (found in water and air moisture) to penetrate the iron frame of the car."

TruckRider

Mechanic
1000 Posts
Just got my 95 4Runner, and sadly, she's got a LOT of frame and suspension rust!!! I'll post some pics in the next few days, but anyone got any suggestions for stopping anymore rust? I'd like to keep her going FOR FOREVER!!!!! Eventually maybe a frame off, but not right now....

Hi angieross269, How are you any updates, Did you get this figured out?

87Pickup

Rust Spray "Rust Check" is much more effective than WD-40. WD-40 washes away in the rain. Rust Check does stick much longer. I am spaying my truck's underside frequently. Warning; on the can it says: Does cause Cancer in California - Lucky I no longer live in LA like I used to :)

Attachments

Jarred

100 Posts
Heard too about using diesel to prevent rust but thought they never hold that longer. +1 on Rust Check, uncle use on his 80's trucks.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
If the frame is not rusted through, and is still in good shape, just rusted, then what you want to do is remove the rust as much as you can. I used wire brush in all the places I could reach, using a small one (like a tooth brush also).Then I pressure washed it. Once that was done, I used some rust preventer I got from Oriellys. This stuff is a clear spray that converts the rust to a black base coat, Once that was done and dry, I then used some old time tar base undercoating. I also bought this from Oriellys. After working on an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico for 33 years, I know about rust. You have to remove it as much as you can, then treat what is left, then coat the steel .

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
tar base undercoating? How does that stick on paint? Or do you have to put it on the metal?

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
It sticks grate on paint, bare metal, primed metal, or just about anything else. It can be removed (overspray or whatever) with paint thinner. The tar base also is a grate rust preventer, because it has oil in it, like all tar would.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
tar base undercoating? How does that stick on paint? Or do you have to put it on the metal?
Don't put that crap on a vehicle ever. It will eventually separate from metal and trap moisture and rot your vehicle. I have repaired numberous vehicles with that crap applied. Rust Check or similar product applied annually is best rust protection.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Damm, I didn't mean to PO anybody. I have had good luck with this stuff, but like I said in the first post, you have to do a proper prep, and get rid of the rust first.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
The tar product up here that is pedalled is frequently applied to NEW vehicles. It will adhere for a period of time but when the factory coating separates from metal and is trapped from falling off by the "Ziebart" or whatever tar product it creates a home for rust and rot.
I know,,the tar looks good on application and the consumer is led to believe he has a bullet proof product. I have chipped off tar product numerous times and had chunks of frames land on the ground, or lift a floor mat and the only barrier between you and the pavement is a layer of tar.
You can make your own "oil product" with mineral oil and paraffin wax. Basically what most of the rust protection oils are based on
GLTA

Last edited:

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
Good to know. I will keep an eye on my frame.That is all I have undercoat on. It never snows here. Our rust comes from being around salt water area, around the coast. Also I worked at a salt mine for the last year, so there was a lot of salt dust in the air from processing the salt. I am laid off again (work here is dead slow right now) So I may have worked my last day there, IDK.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Interesting discussion. I wonder if the type of climate, salt/lack of salt, and chemicals from snow removal have anything to do with the issues discussed. Also wonder when the product was applied ... like wonder if people put it on after the rust has already started? Or only put it on one side and the rust came from the other. I've got no dog in the fight, but now i'm curious.

87Pickup

I am a great promoter of the (RED!) rust check spray. Don't know what the green or the beige cap rust check do (one of them is actual spray paint I think)
The red spray is great before or after minor unsightly surface rust, it forms a good seal and keeps oxygen away from the rust area - makes it look black again and prevents further corrosion.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
I am a great promoter of the (RED!) rust check spray. Don't know what the green or the beige cap rust check do (one of them is actual spray paint I think)
The red spray is great before or after minor unsightly surface rust, it forms a good seal and keeps oxygen away from the rust area - makes it look black again and prevents further corrosion.
What do you mean spray paint?

87Pickup

Rust Check Red is just an oil coating while the same company also sells actual rust inhibiting spray paint. Aerosols .... check all products on this page

The retail product tab shows all products.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Oic. But this needs to be applied prior to any rust being present on the sheet metal.

Related Content You Might Like: