• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Retrieving My Pickup

Neil Gutowski

Okay, Toyota Truck Club, I have a topic I would value some feedback on. Over the next couple days, I am driving to Calfornia (from Alabama) to retrieve my 1982 Toyota Pickup 4x4.
I am trying to decide between using a tow dolly or an aluminum auto transport in bringing the Pickup home. This journey will split up over a five day period to keep fatigue to a minimum, ugh...
I understand the rear drive shaft needs to disconnected when using a tow dolly where the aluminum auto transport offers a greater level of convenience and safety.
Thanks for the feedback.

Attachments

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
If I had to pick for myself, for that long of a trip I would feel better using the aluminum auto transport.

kennythewelder

Super Moderator
Staff member
100 Posts
I agree, a tow dolly is fine for a day trip, but on a long haul a trailer would be much better. An inclosed car hauler, (like they use at the drag race track )even better.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
So I've got to look up what an aluminum auto transport is now. Lol

What are you towing it with?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Ok, something like this?

One time I tried to tow a friend's Blazer with another Suv of equal size with a tow dolly ... Got about 1/2 mile before the sway became alarming. Had to cancel the planned tow.

2015_Trailer_World_18_Open_Aluminum_Car_Hauler_Trailer__DdBV48.jpg
7a913c19-f66e-48f3-9156-8aea060fada0.jpg
$_35.jpg

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Going to need a full sized pickup or large suv to really manage this tow. That's a long distance going over the continental divide.

What path are you most likely to take @Neil Gutowski? "California" could mean San Diego or Weed!

Related Content You Might Like: