• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Stuck In Park

jbzobes

Hello...new member jbzobes here...I have a 09 Tacoma extra cab...6cylinder automatic...90,000 Kilometers that I had a problem with yesterday...weather was extreme -35C with windchill...I had a hell of a time getting it out of Park... Icould not move the shift lever laterally to access gears...I thought possibly snow had got somewhere up top and melted then froze...but it felt more like it was locked...after a half hour or so I finally got it to go into gear...Is there a switch/sensor tied in with brake pedal that could be failing?...has anyone else experienced this?...it did the same thing today, but only briefly...thanks in advance for any help...jb...

wmg

Hello...new member jbzobes here...I have a 09 Tacoma extra cab...6cylinder automatic...90,000 Kilometers that I had a problem with yesterday...weather was extreme -35C with windchill...I had a hell of a time getting it out of Park... Icould not move the shift lever laterally to access gears...I thought possibly snow had got somewhere up top and melted then froze...but it felt more like it was locked...after a half hour or so I finally got it to go into gear...Is there a switch/sensor tied in with brake pedal that could be failing?...has anyone else experienced this?...it did the same thing today, but only briefly...thanks in advance for any help...jb...
Does ur truck have a small square cap on the plastic housing near the shifter,,if so you can pry this up and under neath is a lever you can pry up with a screw driver to unlock the shifter... its there on the 2014 & 15 models..not sure about the 09

tibadoe

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Make sure wheels are not turned all the way to left or right when shutting down vehicle. If they are you will have to turn the wheel to unbind the steering column lock. Seen this happen many years ago - I assume the newer ones will be the same.

jbzobes

Make sure wheels are not turned all the way to left or right when shutting down vehicle. If they are you will have to turn the wheel to unbind the steering column lock. Seen this happen many years ago - I assume the newer ones will be the same.
Thanks for the reply...tho' this seems a different problem...not steering lock issue..jb...

jbzobes

Does ur truck have a small square cap on the plastic housing near the shifter,,if so you can pry this up and under neath is a lever you can pry up with a screw driver to unlock the shifter... its there on the 2014 & 15 models..not sure about the 09

Thanks for your reply!...I remember such a problem and fix on a previous vehicle we had(honda or toyota...can't remember)...honestly can't say at this point if there is one...can't picture it, and out of country right now...daughter has used the the truck a few times since my departure and hasn't mentioned the issue...talking to one of my Mexican friends here...he... through broken english said on Ford's there is a part to change out...will stay in touch with this thread when I get home or my daughter has issues before hand...gracias...jb...

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
It's a sticking park interlock. All vehicles should have an override button of this happens again. Let me see if I can find a pic.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Here's a general diagram showing the park shift interlock components.

shift-lock.jpg

jbzobes

Mucho Gracias!!...still a way's till I can check in person...if my daughter has issues before my return...I will link this thread to her...Thanks again...jb...

wmg

didn't the '80's Toyota automatics have a button or something near shifter you could push to unlock shift lever? This all sounds too familiar
not sure about the early models see my reply above the 2014-15 do

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, the override for the shift interlock is a federal mandate iirc.

Related Content You Might Like: