• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Fluctuating Atf Levels 96 T100 4x4

96t100

Just wondering if anyone else's atf levels drop after the engine idles for 3 to 10 minutes. My dipstick shows perfect after a 10 or 20 mile drive but will slowly drop below the lower hot mark. Recently changed busted radiator and topped off transmission. I can drive it 5, 10, 20 miles and it will read at upper hot mark immediately after stopping the truck, but it will very slowly start dropping. It has been 70 plus degrees the past few days so I wouldn't think the ambient temp would allow the fluid to cool enough to make the reading fluctuate like this. Anyone ever noticed this with their transmission? Thanks

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Do you have a owners manual? Usually auto transmissions you check with engine at operating temperature for accurate reading.. Shutting engine down and reading on ATF stick will be lower.

96t100

Yes I know exactly how to check atf levels. Just never seen seen them drop like this on any other vehicle that I have owned. It is running when I check it. But drops as it sits idling. It shifts fine and idles at correct speed. I have done all kinds of work on this truck over the years. Just never noticed this before.

billybob

Just wondering if anyone else's atf levels drop after the engine idles for 3 to 10 minutes. My dipstick shows perfect after a 10 or 20 mile drive but will slowly drop below the lower hot mark. Recently changed busted radiator and topped off transmission. I can drive it 5, 10, 20 miles and it will read at upper hot mark immediately after stopping the truck, but it will very slowly start dropping. It has been 70 plus degrees the past few days so I wouldn't think the ambient temp would allow the fluid to cool enough to make the reading fluctuate like this. Anyone ever noticed this with their transmission? Thanks
Manufacturers from the beginning of time has always suggested to check ATF at normal operating temperature, car in park and engine running. I normally check this at a gas station before I fill up. Wonder how they check it at assembly plants when doing hundreds an hour. Checking in today's cars it's even worse, no dipstick and the fluid needs to be at about 113 degrees!

Related Content You Might Like: