• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Google's Self-driving Just Car Got Pulled Over For Driving Too Slow

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
haha, that would be awesome to tell the cop that you weren't driving.

When we first heard that one of Google's self-driving cars had been pulled over by cops, we thought one of its little pod-like vehicles might've been caught hammering along the highway during a sneaky one-off test of its ability to handle high speeds.

But no. It was actually stopped for going too slow. That's right, a Mountain View traffic cop this week spotted the cute little pod puttering along the street at a speed presumably not much faster than a granny walking a dog, and decided to have a word.

Facebook user Zandr Milewski, who watched the incident unfold (presumably at a snail's pace), grabbed a shot of the officer beside what looks like a cartoon cop car but is actually one of Google's self-driving motors (incidentally, that dome on top contains some of the car's all-important sensors).

TruckZoom

i read this news somewhere over the net too. I thought it was hilarious. the cop would only find an empty driver seat. Sorry, no ticket from you, sir. hahahaha!

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Well, that's what I thought as well. The car has passengers obviously, they're not drones, I guess they could be ... Where do you sit in a self driving car?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I was watching Jay Lenos Garage and they had self driving Audi's.
A "passenger" could sit in the seat right behind the wheel.
They were running road courses and the left front "passenger" had to hold a chicken switch.
The computers for self driving cars are now down to the size of a 12"x16"x10" box, it can easily fit in the trunk, almost all modern steering, brake, throttle, and gear selections have some type of servo incorporated already so it's only a matter of programming their input as computer driven 's manual.
As far as tickets the owner of a vehicle is ultimately responsible for operations his a his who or what in this case he allows to operate the vehicle.
Which brings up the issue of allowing unlicensed drivers access since even in "forward thinking" Ca. they haven't started issuing licenses to computers.
By all rights the officer could impound the vehicle for an unlicensed driver charge.
If it wouldve been me on patrol I would've.

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Couldn't find anything but a snippet of that as I don't have CNBC and can't find anyway to find that full video yet.

However, I came across this discussion from CNET and I feel like I'm up to speed (no pun) on technology as of about 18 months ago, I assume these are the same categories.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
The same system but it was in a different model Audi, they were running around Sears Pt raceway (infinion race track).

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yeah, they showed (for free) a short segment of Leno in that Audi, but you have to have cable or something to watch the full video, they're not releasing the JLG anymore to YouTube? Huh.

Related Content You Might Like: