• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Sarge261

Hey All...

Just wanted to pop on here and say hello, Ive lurked for a long time but never joined. The wife and I have had a 4 Runner in the household since 06, just traded it this past August for a 15 4 Runner and its awesome. Ive been seriously considering a new(er) Tacoma for a long while...I have a question regarding them though:

I own/operate my own repair shop and I need a truck I can plow with so I was wondering how many of you guys plow with your Tacomas and how do they do for a smaller truck. Im looking for a truck with a manual tranny and T-case as well, and it doesn't look like they offer that combo in a 16 any longer, so what years am I looking at for this combo.

I normally buy uised whooped out 1/2 ton Chevys for this task but honestly Im tired of driving junk, and I cant bring myself to put a plow on my F350.

Thanks,

Sarge

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
Hey, welcome to the site. You traded the 06 4Runner for the 2015?

We've been asked the plowing question a few times before. Plowing is a stressful activity for your truck, but what are you talking about? Doing your driveway and Street (light duty) a few times in the winter? Or something much more involved?

Just about any truck can plow ... Just have to weight it properly, but a heavier truck, and a heavier duty frame will handle it easier with less long term stress.

Sarge261

Yes traded the 06 4 Runner for the 15. The improvements are awesome. The next truck I buy will only be used for light plowing of my business only. Ive dumped all but 2 of my snow plow contracts this season, its just to hard trying to run a business and plow snow too. That's why I figured I could get a smaller truck a little better economy wise, keep my F350 for towing the 5th wheel and heavy equipment when I need it and not have it destroyed in the salt/winter of NYS.

Plus the cost to replace the F350 is astronomical at this point and I don't for see selling the 5th wheel anytime soon.

So those are my thoughts, hope that answers some of the questions for you.

Sarge

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
So how much total surface needs to be plowed each season and how often? Doo you have a yard at your business or just a parking lot?

Sarge261

Just a parking lot, I am the only 1 that will use the truck. I'm going today to talk to the guy I bought the 4 runner from, I would have to order the truck since no one has a manual transmission with a v-6 around here, guess its a rare bird. I haven't ruled out just keeping my Yukon hanging around for plow duties only.

We just had a baby girl 3 months ago and trying to get her in and out of a 2 door Yukon is becoming a pain in the behind. But if the Toyotas plow good I would sell the Yukon and drop down to the Toyota. The Tacoma is a truck that I've always wanted, and I see guys plowing with S-10's and Rangers all the time so I figured that the Tacoma would probably be a pretty good choice as its a solid truck and very reliable, at least from my experience with the 4 Runners.

Sarge

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Yes, you can plow with it and just doing your driveway a few times each winter isn't going to destroy your truck, that's hours of plowing each winter, but if you get into hours of plowing each week that's a totally different story and the stress will add up.

What type of shop do you run?

toyotafan

Staff member
1000 Posts
Congrats on the baby girl by the way, I've got three rowdy boys myself, wife didn't want to try again for a girl.

Sarge261

I have a auto repair shop in upstate NY, we do everything but body work , also some restoration work as well. It started as a hobby, I worked for a GM dealer for many years and decided to go on my own when the bottom fell out.Its too hard to make money at a dealer and all they want to do is sell power steering flushes and injection services.

Thanks for the kind words about the baby, shes a handful for sure but I wouldn't change it for the world.

Sarge

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Your new truck likely fine for what little plowing you plan on doing. No doubt the commercial plows in your area as well as mine all use full size trucks for a reason.

Sarge261

Salesman just called verified that the order was placed not now I just need to sit tight and hope that because mine is a manual that they move it up closer to the front of the order line :)

Related Content You Might Like: