• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

2015 Sequoia-help Increasing Idling Speed

VehicleModifier

2015 Sequoia-Help Increasing Idling Speed
Gentlemen, and ladies of course,
I would like your help in finding a way to increase the idling speed on a 2015 Sequoia.
The option (called fast idle) is available on other brands (Ford, Chevrolet etc).
I am Not concerned with the interlocks (ie. the idle speed should only engage when the transmission is in park and the emergency brake is depressed etc.), I can handle all that. What I am simply trying to do is find a way to raise the idling speed without keeping my foot on the gas pedal.
Modifying the gas pedal is possible but out of the question as it could be a safety issue.
I was looking at perhaps accessing the ECM or finding the coolant temperature sensor and inserting either a resistor or a resistor and a switch in the circuit to “trick” the ECM in “thinking” the engine is cold etc.
Of course, inserting a resistor anywhere else (gas pedal circuit, TPS circuit etc also came to mind)
I need the higher RPM at idle because I am running auxiliary equipment in the truck and, at idle, the alternator does not output enough amperage.
I need to run the engine at about 850-900RPM to get the power I need.
The alternator has already been replaced with a higher output alternator (370A) but alternators do not output full power at idle, therefore to get about 220A at idle, I need to raise the idle speed.
A second alternator is not an option for the Sequoia either.
So, does anyone have any idea on how to achieve the higher RPM at idle?
Thank you in advance for your response.

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
I've looked under the hood of newer Sequoia and Tundra trucks and at the throttle system for a way to do the same thing.
A friend has his Tundra modified with a rheostat switch in-line on the throttle position system. To increase amperage output during pinching.
But it keeps throwing tips codes.
My thoughts are to use a mechanical throttle for higher rooms..

VehicleModifier

Thank you,

The mechanical throttle is an idea but the only way to do it is to place an actuator above the gas pedal which will physically depress slightly the gas pedal to achieve the higher RPM. On the latest models (at least on the 2015), the throttle actuator (and integrated positioning sensor I assume) is completely sealed (riveted actually). There is no physical way to mechanically open the throttle.

I would be very interested in knowing which wire did your friend cut and what is the value of the rheostat . That would work for us very well as we would find the resistance that increases the RPM to about 950 and wire it through a double through relay and a switch. When activated and in Park and with the emergency break engaged, the relay would insert the resistor in the circuit increasing the RPM. When releasing the emergency break and /or shifting to Drive, the relay would disengage and would close the circuit excluding the resistor.

We are not concerned with the codes. It is a heavily modified vehicle, as long as the codes are not affecting performance, we would be ok.

So, if possible, I would be very interested to know which one of the wires we need to cut and what is the value of the rheostat your frond is using.

I greatly appreciate your assistance.

toyotafan

Toyota Truck Club Founder
Staff member
1000 Posts
I've been told that these newer Tundras are programmable. In Chevy or Ford you just plug in and program and can change idle that way. I'd be surprised if this were not an option with a tundra ready programmer.

Related Content You Might Like: