• FREE SPEECH SOCIAL MEDIA

If you're looking for a Free Speech Social Media site, check out Blabbook.com

- NO FACT CHECKING - NO SHADOW BANNING - NO POINT OF VIEW CENSORSHIP

Bad fuel economy on 86 Toyota any ideas

kona26

Hello I have a 86 4x4 on 32 1250 15 -- body lift. I have owned this truck for about 3 years. And I has never gotten good gas millage. I just did a minor tune up plugs wires cap rotor coil. I am getting about 150-170 per tank. I have been reading that It should be around 270. Is there something else I should be looking into ? Or is this normal. I drive to and from work about 6 miles a day normal driving and have been running chevron plus. Thank you for any input. And please if I am leaving info out let me know. Truck 86 4 cyl 22 re

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Kona what gears are you running?
Factory tires were 28" or 29" depending on wheels or if it had dealer added tires.
Your 32's are a bit taller and heavier, and Im not even factoring in what change in unsprung weight the wheels might be from factory.
The body, with 3" lift, is now pushing something like an additional 6 square feet of air.
And if you have any additions like aftermatket bumpers, tire racks, shell/bed cover, winch, all these items add weight.
With mismatched gears and tires any added weight mutiplies the loss of mileage.
Theres a few calculators on the internet that will tell you the optimum gears for your particular size tire.
Personal experience with these trucks leads me to believe you presently have gears in the 3.00 +/- or 3.70 +/- range.
A better ratio would be 4.11 for these tires.
The cost of new gears will be close to $1000, maybe a little less if you do the swap yourself and source gears from a low cost vendor. Which leads to its own source of issues.
How much fuel would that $1000 buy? Would it make the gear swap worth while? Or would it be a better choice to go back to factory size tires?

kona26

It has the stock gears in now. I was led to believe that is 410. I have a bumper and canopy that I just put on. I have not seen a big change in fuel from installing these items. So other finding out for sure what gear size I have is there anything under the hood that can cause a drastic change ? I have a few friends the have lifted Toyota that get about 220 or so to a tank. I am going to look at getting 488 gears. That is suppost to be close to stock for 32 - 33 in tires

kona26

Thank you for the reply by the way I do all my own work on my truck. But I have very little knowledge with engine and drive train. So I am learning

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
4.10/4.11 as stock gears on that year truck while not unheard of would be out of the ordinary.
Theres a few ways to check the gear ratio, check the eqpt sticker in the glove box if it stil exists.
Check the rear axle pumpkin for a tag under one of the bolts or stamped on the back of the case.
Or lift the rear end, put the trans in neutral, mark 1 ear of the yoke with chalk to track, mark a spot on the tire to track, then while spinning the driveshaft 1 full turn track the amount of turns the tire makes, 4 and roughly a quarter turns would indicate 4.10/4.11 gears.

kona26

The only stamps I see are n2 on the back of the pumpkin and a under it and looks like a p on the side of it

kona26

So jacked it up I can rotate the drive shaft just a hair over 2 time for the wheel to make 1 full turn

kona26

Another question what is a good fuel to use on an older engine. The top end is rebuilt the Lowe is not I have been running chevron plus

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
That gear ratio doesnt sound right at all.
Truthfully any fuel, try to stay away from ethanol and only use premium blend fuels if you got knocking or pinging, its a waste of money.
Run regular or mid grade, the lowest octane rating it doesnt ping at.

kona26

Yeah I just asked my neighbor and he said that dosnt sound right either. Maybe I am getting what I should. What should be the norm per tank. ?

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
Ive had a few Toyota 4x4s of that vintage, and outfitted like yours with 4.10/4.11 gears I usually get from 200-260 miles per tank on normal commuting.
I had one with 34" tires and 3.77 gears 22r 5 spd that never got better than 180 per tank, much worse off road where she mostly lived.
After a change to 4.56 gears she still only got 200-210 per tank, never did figure out why it drank so much fuel.

kona26

So I check the drive shaft again and I got 4 and just under a 1/4 turn. So I'm thinking 410 or 411 gears. I just took it out of gear and pushed it on the ground

tbplus10

Staff member
1000 Posts
Community Leader
That sounds closer, should be 4.10/4.11.
Hows the truck idle and run?
Does it have a fuel rich smell, does it idle higher than 600rpm.
Have you checked for vacume leaks?
Hows the clutch, any slipping?
Brakes good, no dragging?

kona26

Brakes are good no leaks that I can tell. I turned the idle down from 900 to about 750. Runs good smooth no shaking. Right now I am just over the 1/4 mark for my fuel line and have about 57 miles the is the second tank I have run from doing all the tune up. I am just not sure what to look for on the vacuums leaks.

jazz

Mechanic
100 Posts
Your truck sounds like it is running good,,,just a little thirsty Cold weather can effect fuel mileage,,,mine has been poor the past few weeks add to the fact of having to run in 4WD also increases fuel use. I assume you have carb,,,is the choke opening all the way...anything i have ever had with a electric choke I have switched to manual choke.....gives you absolute control over the choke!

Related Content You Might Like: